1 Newcastle are keen on 1860 Munich striker Rubin Okotie as they bid to rescue their season.After a 5-1 thumping by Crystal Palace at the weekend, head coach Steve McClaren admitted his side are in a relegation battle.Goals are at a premium for the Toon with marquee summer signing Aleksandar Mitrovic looking goal-shy in his debut season at the club.In contrast, 28-year-old Okotie is in fine form after hitting a hat-trick on Saturday for 1860 Munich, making it four goals in two Bundesliga 2 matches.The Austrian hit an impressive treble to rescue a 4-4 draw for his side against Paderborn and is now a transfer target for a host of sides, including Seattle Sounders, AZ Alkmaar, Rubin Kazan, as well as the Magpies.The pacy forward is an Austria international but was born in Karachi, Pakistan, and raised for the early part of his life in Barcelona. Rubin Okotie
Chelsea have announced the signing of Matt Miazga from New York Red Bulls in a four-and-a-half year deal.The centre back joins the Blues for a reported fee of £3.5million and, according to Guus Hiddink, he will be a squad player for the rest of the season.But many supporters won’t have seen the American defender in action, so what can they expect from their new man?Check out the video above to see new Chelsea signing Matt Miazga in action for New York Red Bulls…
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City“While we are clearly disappointed with the outcome, this tells us that collecting on this judgment, against this guy, is really tough,” Cook said. Cook had hoped the watch might be worth as much as $22,000, but an appraisal from San Francisco jeweler Shreve & Co. concluded it was worth only about $100. Simpson had told his lawyer, Ronald Slates, he paid $125 for it. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! O.J. Simpson is getting his fake Rolex watch back. The timepiece, seized earlier this week by attorneys for Fred Goldman, was ordered returned to the former football star after it was determined to be a knockoff made in China. Goldman has won a multimillion-dollar wrongful-death judgment against Simpson, but the watch has so little value it falls under an exemption in the judgment excluding jewelry worth less than $6,075. Goldman lawyer David Cook said his client will comply with Friday’s order by Superior Court Judge Gerald Rosenberg.
Flat-panel TVs and other gadgets require advanced chips that are expensive to make, and competition is intense. Sony, whose sprawling businesses include the studio that made the “Spider-Man” movies, has revived its money-losing electronics business in recent years. But it is still losing money in its gaming unit, battered by the success of rival Nintendo Co.’s Wii console. Sony has beefed up its flat-panel TV business in a joint venture with South Korean rival Samsung Electronics Co. and is eager to gain cash to invest in research to highlight its image as a technological innovator – something Sony had once taken for granted. Last week, shares of Sony’s financial unit started trading in Tokyo in what was Japan’s biggest initial public offering of the year, which reduced Sony’s stake in Sony Financial Holdings Inc. to about 60 percent from 100percent. Sony has said it’s using the 348billion yen ($2.99 billion) it raised in the IPO for its electronics business, such as research for a new kind of flat panel called OLED, or organic light-emitting diode display, as well as imaging technology. Sony has boosted profitability under the leadership of Welsh-born Chief Executive Howard Stringer, the first foreigner to head Sony, who took helm in 2005 and cut jobs, shut plants and dropped unprofitable divisions, including the Aibo pet robot. Toshiba, an electronics maker that owns a stake in U.S. nuclear reactor manufacturer Westinghouse Electric Co., has done well with its flash-memory chips widely used in cell phones and digital players. The Nikkei said Sony and its video-game unit will invest in the manufacturing operation for the Cell chip. It also said Sony will sell to Toshiba its manufacturing operations for digital-imaging chips that it now runs with Toshiba.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Sony official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the announcement is yet to be official and involves another party, said the agreement will be announced later in the day. Speculation had been rife that struggling Sony, seeking to turn around its core electronics sector, would sell some parts of its business, such as its chip manufacturing operations. The sale is expected to include the manufacturing business for the “Cell” chip used in Sony’s PlayStation 3 video game console and other sophisticated gadgets. Japan’s top business daily The Nikkei reported today that the deal was worth an estimated 100billion yen ($858 million) and would be completed by March. Toshiba spokeswoman Hiroko Mochida said she was looking into the report but declined to comment. BUSINESS: The deal will likely include production of “Cell” used in the PlayStation 3 gaming console. By Yuri Kageyama THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TOKYO – Sony Corp. is selling its advanced computer chip operations to Toshiba Corp., a Sony official said today.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The first incident occurred Friday morning with the discovery of the body of Elsy Lizeth Molina, a 36-year-old Compton woman found dead in her truck in the 2800 block of Victoria Street in Rancho Dominguez, sheriff’s deputies said. Deputies found Molina lying in the sleeping cabin of a parked tractor-trailer. Coroner’s officials said she died of multiple traumatic injuries and declared her death a homicide. On Saturday, gunmen in a car fired shots into another vehicle at Tajauta Avenue and Cyrene Drive in Carson, wounding a 40-year-old Inglewood man, deputies said. Bobby Smith died at 2:30 a.m. Sunday at County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. By Larry Altman STAFF WRITER Homicide detectives were busy Monday investigating five unrelated killings in a three-day period across the South Bay and Harbor Area. Four men and one woman died in the attacks. No suspects were in custody, and few details were released about any of the slayings. The shooting was considered gang-related. About 12:30 a.m. Sunday, a gunman walked up to a 19-year-old man in Wilmington and shot him in the head, coroner’s officials said. The shooting occurred in the 1400 block of Blinn Avenue. Daniel Angel Arviso of Wilmington died later at County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. About 4 a.m., a drive-by gunman shot Devon Curry, 18, of Hawthorne, in the 5400 block of West 99th Place near Los Angeles International Airport. Curry died later at UCLA Medical Center in Westwood. Twelve hours later, a man was gunned down in a drive-by attack on Lincoln Boulevard at Maxella Avenue near Marina del Rey. The victim was identified as 33-year-old Armando Joseph Mariscal Jr. of San Pedro. Staff writer Paul Clinton contributed to this article. firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Up until now, immigration officials rarely focused their attention on L.A., but with increased pressure to crack down on those living in the country illegally, agents have ramped up enforcement efforts. Besides an increase in arrests, the number of illegal immigrants deported from Southern California has risen steadily over the past two years, from 10,352 in 2005 to 13,441 this year. And in October, the head of ICE announced its largest sweep ever in the Southland, with 1,300 illegal immigrants taken into custody during a two-week operation. The raids follow months of high-profile and controversial roundups across the country, which have been decried by immigrant-rights activists who say the sweeps spread fear in immigrant communities. They complain it’s mostly immigrants with no criminal records who wind up being deported. Putting more agents on Southland streets to carry out sweeps, immigration officials said Friday that they have made a record number of arrests this year of criminal immigrants and those who ignored deportation orders. Nearly 2,700 were arrested during raids from the San Fernando Valley to San Bernardino during the year ending Sept. 30 – a 63 percent increase over the previous year. “In the past, there wasn’t a concerted effort to identify and locate people,” said Jim Hayes, Los Angeles field office director for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s detention and removal operation. “That has changed.” There are an estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S., with the largest concentration in the Los Angeles area. That number is difficult to estimate, but experts say about 2.4 million live in California. Of the 2,667 immigrants arrested over the past year, 576 had criminal histories, including a 34-year-old Maywood man convicted of involuntary manslaughter who had ignored deportation orders. “We question the way they go about doing these arrests,” said Angela Sanbrano, the director of the National Alliance of Latin American and Caribbean communities, an umbrella group for several pro-immigrant groups. Sanbrano said immigrants don’t know their rights and are often too intimidated to open the door for agents who don’t always have a search warrant. “To some extent, it seems like it’s a publicity campaign to show that they are doing their job,” she said. “But to us it’s worrisome when there are issues of racial profiling, constitutional rights, not to mention the fear that they generate in the community when they see ICE is picking up people.” The operation was part of the agency’s wider strategy, dubbed Fugitive Operations Program, to focus on criminals and the 579,000 immigrants in the U.S. who have defied deportation orders. Begun in 2003, it has garnered support from the Los Angeles Police Department and other law enforcement agencies. “We welcome ICE’s direct and targeted intervention in identifying criminal gang members, criminal offenders and habitual offenders that are here unlawfully,” said LAPD Deputy Chief Michel Moore, who oversees police operations in the Valley. “As that occurs, our streets become safer.” Since October 2006, ICE has added 23 more teams of 10 agents nationally, including one in Orange County that targets fugitives and criminals. Teams are expected to arrest about 1,000 illegal immigrants a year, and with five teams in Southern California Hayes expects next year’s arrests to nearly double. But immigrant-rights groups argue that the push to boost deportations distorts public priorities. “We think their time is better spent in the jails and in the institutional hearings rather than the employment-based or neighborhood sweeps,” said John Trasvi a, president of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund. “They are looking for person A and they pick up person B and C. Those should not be priority removals. They are going overboard in terms of the people they pick up.” And, increasingly, they are seeing police agencies pick up the undocumented immigrants for minor offenses and then turning them over to ICE for immigration violations. In the northeast reaches of the Valley patrolled by Foothill Division officers, police attribute part of the steady drop in crime to their weekly work with immigration officials. Since March, the LAPD has helped ICE identify 32 street gang members and an additional 20 felony suspects, Capt. Joseph Curreri said. “As far as I am concerned, it’s 52 predators that are off the street,” he said. Moore stressed that though the LAPD is collaborating with ICE, it only targets violent criminals and gang members, not witnesses. And officers will not be asking anyone their immigration status – as the city’s Special Order 40 prohibits. Still, he said, “Nobody should look at LAPD as if we are going to give them sanctuary.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“We have great expectations from the United States,” Babacan said at a news conference following his meeting with Rice. “We are at the point where words have been exhausted and where there is need for action.” Ankara has said Turkey wants to hear specifics about what the United States is prepared to do to counter the rebel Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, or Turkey will launch an attack. Rebel attacks against Turkish positions over the last month have left 47 dead, including 35 soldiers, according to government and media reports. Many Turks are furious with the United States for its perceived failure to pressure Iraq into cracking down on the PKK, which operates from bases in the semiautonomous Kurdish region of northern Iraq. Street protesters have urged the government to send forces across the border even if it means deepening the rift with the U.S., their NATO ally. Turkey’s military chief has said the country will wait until after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan meets with President George W. Bush next week in Washington to make a final decision about an assault. Washington worries a Turkish incursion would bring instability to what has been the calmest part of Iraq, and could set a precedent for other countries, like Iran, that also have conflicts with Kurdish rebels. Babacan returned from a trip to Iran last week, lobbying for support for the Turkish side and underscoring that Turkey will act as it sees fit, regardless of U.S. pressure. ANKARA, Turkey – Faced with the prospect of another front opening in the already difficult Iraq war, the United States struggled Friday to persuade Turkey not to send its army across the Iraqi border to attack guerrillas who use the remote terrain to launch strikes inside Turkey. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged calm and cooperation in a string of meetings with top Turkish leaders fed up with rebel attacks and insistent that Turkey will do what it must to stop them. She made a similar argument later Friday in a separate meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, whose government has said it will not stand for any cross-border assault. Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan sounded impatient, and he offered no public promise of the restraint Washington seeks. “We all need to redouble our efforts, and the United States is committed to redoubling our efforts,” Rice said. She said the United States is working to broaden its sharing of intelligence and has begun discussing longer-term solutions that would involve Turkey, Iraq and the United States. In a sign of potential cooperation, the Kurdish region’s Minister of Culture Falkadin Kakei told The Associated Press in Baghdad that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party has agreed to meet a delegation of Iraqi Kurds to discuss the crisis.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
At polling places on Election Day, San Gabriel Valley voters expressed disappointment that so few of their fellow residents turned out to cast ballots. Without statewide or national contests to draw voters, cities expected a low turnout of 13 to 17 percent, officials said. But those that did trek to polling places said municipal elections were crucial to their cities’ future. And the lack of civic engagement has had a negative effect on local government, some said. “That’s why we keep getting the same bums in office,” said longtime West Covina resident and voter Charlene Schmidt, 60. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Schmidt was leaving a Honda dealership on East Garvey Avenue where poll workers had seen a little more than 100 voters by about 1 p.m. “We’re still looking for the big rush,” said poll worker Johnny Key, noting that things usually get busier after regular work hours. Voter turnout for local elections in the county has dropped since a high of 17.7 percent in 1983. Four years ago, 11.4 percent of eligible voters went to the polls, according to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder’s Office. In Montebello, contests for city council, clerk, treasurer and school board meant there was more on the ballot than in most Valley cities. Poll workers in the city said they did notice an uptick in turnout for the contentious election this year. Rose Mary Brougher said she has worked at the Montebello polls for the past 40 years. “We have a city that really needs guidance,” she commented as a steady trickle of voters came to her polling station at a residence in the 700 block of North Fourth Street. “People need to get out and see what’s going on in their cities,” Brougher said, lamenting the overall decline in voting. Outside the polling station, voters Ray and Margaret Gallego, who have lived in Montebello more than 40 years, said local politics were exasperating and they were hoping for change. But that very frustration with city government may be driving residents away from the polls, they said. “The problem with voters is this: You don’t know who to believe any longer. You kind of throw your hands up,” Ray Gallego, 72, said. Added Margaret Gallego, 69, “Not too many people feel it makes a difference.” Meanwhile, 22-year-old Dominic Tiberio was getting on his skateboard after casting his ballot. “I don’t know too much about politics here,” he said. “My mom is really into city stuff, so she’d be disappointed if I didn’t vote.” email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2110160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!