first_imgBritain’s four-time Olympic champion Sir Mo Farah says he is “relieved” he can return to his US home after it was clarified that President Donald Trump’s travel ban did not apply to him.Somali nationals are among those banned from travelling to the US under the executive order issued on Friday.That had applied to Farah, who was born in Somalia, until the announcement by the UK Foreign Office late on Sunday.Farah, 33, called Trump’s policy “divisive and discriminatory”.Trump’s executive order halted the entire US refugee programme and also instituted a 90-day travel ban for nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson held conversations with the US government on Sunday. The Foreign Office then advised British travellers that dual citizens were only affected if travelling to the US from one of the seven banned countries.”We understand from the statement released this evening by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office that the executive order will not apply to Mo, and we are grateful to the FCO for urgently clarifying the situation,” said a spokesperson for Farah, who has lived in Oregon for six years with his family.”Mo is relieved that he will be able to return to his family once his current training camp concludes.”The statement added that Farah “still fundamentally disagrees with this incredibly divisive and discriminatory policy”.Writing on his Facebook page earlier on Sunday, Farah had said: “On 1 January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27 January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien.” Farah said he believed Trump’s policy “comes from a place of ignorance and prejudice” and that his own story was “an example of what can happen when you follow polices of compassion and understanding, not hate and isolation”.Farah, who moved to Britain aged eight, is at a training camp in Ethiopia as part of his preparations for August’s World Championships in London, and is not planning to return to the US for a number of weeks.last_img read more

first_imgCanelo Alvarez, left, and Gennady Golovkin pose for photographers during a news conference Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017, in Las Vegas. The two are scheduled to fight in a middleweight title fight Saturday in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)LAS VEGAS — Canelo Alvarez was just Saul Alvarez back then, a red-haired 15-year-old who wanted nothing more than to make some money boxing.He got his chance on a summer night in 2005 in a suburb of Guadalajara, Mexico, where he grew up. His opponent was another teenager named Abraham Gonzalez, but he could have been anyone.ADVERTISEMENT Alvarez showed some potential by stopping Gonzalez in fourth round. Afterward he collected his first real payday.“Eighty pesos,” Alvarez recalled this week. “I think it was like $6.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogA dozen years later, the pay has gotten a lot better. On Saturday night Alvarez will make millions as he meets knockout specialist Gennady Golovkin in a middleweight showdown that boxing purists are comparing to some of the division’s great fights of years past .Some 40 million of his countrymen are expected to be watching on television as the fighter who is arguably Mexico’s biggest sports hero takes on the fearsome Golovkin in a fight that could define the career of both fighters. The fight will be televised on HBO pay-per-view in the U.S. Break new ground MOST READ It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Germany takes over at top of FIFA rankings from Brazil Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Winning start LATEST STORIES “I give a slight edge to Triple G because of his sheer punching power with both hands,” Leonard said. “Canelo has to fight the best fight of his life, just like when I fought Hagler. I had to be technically sharp, strategically sharp and smart.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img A costly, catty dispute finally settled “My mentality is 100 percent to win,” Alvarez said. “Every night before I go to bed I visualize a knockout.”Alvarez has been on the big stage before. He and Mayweather delivered more than 2 million pay-per-view buys in their fight, and he has consistently drawn big crowds and big television numbers over the last five years.He’s done beer commercials with Sylvester Stallone, collected multi-million dollar purses, and established himself as the latest in a long succession of aggressive Mexican fighters.If he can beat Golovkin — and he’s a slight underdog — he’ll have a handful of championship belts and a signature win that will resonate throughout the sport. It’s something he thought would happen if he beat Mayweather, but at 23, he wasn’t ready for the defensive master.“Most definitely I was too young and it showed,” Alvarez said through an interpreter. “I don’t take it today as a defeat but as an experience. I learned a lot from that fight.”In Golovkin, Alvarez will be fighting a boxer who hasn’t lost since the gold medal match in the 2004 Olympics. He’ll also be facing a slugger who has 33 knockouts in 37 fights and is defending his middleweight titles for the 19th time.But Golovkin looked somewhat vulnerable in his last fight, where he went 12 rounds with Danny Jacobs. He won, but the fight that may have convinced De La Hoya to risk his most marketable fighter against Triple G.No one on either side expects it to be easy.“He has a very aggressive style. He comes to search and destroy and he comes in search of a knockout,” Alvarez said. “You know me, I don’t back down. I’m a counter puncher and I like to fight. It has all the ingredients to be one of the best fights ever.”Whether the fight will deliver the classic everyone expects remains to be seen. But it has brought talk of great middleweight fights from the 1980s, including Tommy Hearns versus Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Hagler against Sugar Ray Leonard.Leonard posted a video on Twitter this week giving his thoughts on the outcome. End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Learning about the ‘Ring of Fire’ “This is for my country and my people,” Alvarez said. “Simply put, the people wanted this fight.”It won’t be a fight for the faint of heart. Golovkin had a 23-fight knockout streak before going the distance in his last fight, while Alvarez is a masterful counterpuncher who is not afraid to mix it up.Between them they have only one loss in 88 fights. Alvarez suffered it in 2013 against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a fight he admitted he took too early in his career.By contrast, he may have waited until just the right time to fight Golovkin. Alvarez and his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, were widely criticized for avoiding Golovkin for the last two years, but now Alvarez has grown into a full-fledged middleweight and both fighters seem to be in their prime.There shouldn’t be many surprises. And there will certainly be no excuses.ADVERTISEMENT A costly, catty dispute finally settled Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

first_imgThe man who was reportedly caught with 27.2 kilograms of compressed marijuana was on Friday remanded to prison.Dean Grenville, 27, of Lot 60 Stanleytown, New Amsterdam, is alleged to have had 27.2 kg of compressed marijuana on April 3, for the purpose of trafficking.Grenville appeared at the Albion Magistrate’s Court and denied the charge.He was represented by Attorney Charlyn Artiga.The ganja which was found in the New Amsterdam, Berbice house on WednesdayThe prosecution is contending that Police acting on information went to the Stanleytown house, where they swooped down on the suspect’s two-story East Bank Berbice residence at about 11:15h and conducted a search of his presence.According to Police, 16 taped parcels of compressed cannabis were found. The Stanleytown resident who was arrested has been on the Police’s radar for “quite a while” Police said.Magistrate Renita Singh remanded Grenville to prison and the case will continue on April 15.last_img read more