first_imgFlooded 15 Gate to Du Bridge Road. Residents in the area are compelled to travel to Harbel by canoe, due to the collapse of the Du River Bridge in June of 2017.But life jackets donated by Rep. Tarwonpeh saves all 12 on boardBy Richard Duke Baysah (LINA)Kakata – Another canoe has capsized near the collapsed Du River Bridge along the 15 Gate – Harbel route.The canoe had 12 persons, including two operators, on board, but this time all survived the incident.Speaking in an interview with the Liberia News Agency (LINA) in Bondiway, in Firestone, Acee Tweh, a correction officer who was among those that survived the incident, said they went to Harbel to attend to their individual businesses and were returning home late Wednesday evening when the canoe capsized.Acee Tweh, 33, a survivor from Wednesday’s capsized canoe of the Du River in Firestone“We got to the crossing point very late that evening, at about 7:30 PM and immediately launched an appeal to the operator of the canoe to cross us. He was very reluctant, owing to the fact that it was very dark and there was no light to see,” Miss Tweh explained.She also said that when they boarded the canoe and tried to cross the river, they found it difficult due to the high current of the water. The operator lost control of the canoe, and it collided with a very big stick in the middle of the water, causing it to turn over with them.“I was the only passenger on board without a life jacket, so I nearly got drowned during the incident”, Tweh said.The incident has left Miss Tweh with multiple wounds on her body. She is now urinating with blood as a result of inhaling a huge quantity of water after the canoe capsized.A similar incident occurred last month over the Gben River in Smell No Taste, after a canoe capsized with 15 people on board. That incident was reported to have left nine persons dead, but only 5 bodies were recovered by the Liberia National Coast Guard of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL).Tawah Tamba,22, a survivor from Wednesday’s capsized canoe of the Du River in FirestoneAnother survivor spoken to, Miss Taywah Tamba, age 22, said she had gone on the day of the incident to register with the Harbel Community College when the canoe capsized.Meanwhile, citizens of Margibi County are commending District #1 Representative, Tilberosa S. Tarwonpeh, for purchasing life jackets for them. They said that had it not been for the life jackets he bought for them, all of the passengers on the canoe would have died.Residents in the area are compelled to travel via canoe to cross from one area to another since the collapse of the Du River Bridge in June last year.“We are compelled to take the risk in using canoes to cross and go to Harbel market to buy food for our families, because it is very costly for us to use commercial motorbikes, which charge us between L$350.00 to L$400.00, just to get us there. The same amount is also paid when returning,” most residents, who were spoken to, revealed.At the same time, Margibi County Inspector Moses Gbankpala says Margibi County is now turning into a “flood-prone” county following the rainy season.Mr. Gankpala said since 2014, Margibi County has always experienced floods and other incidents of disaster.He is urging citizens of Margibi County to take every precautionary measure when crossing rivers, especially during the rainy season.“This year alone, the flood is too much in the county and is causing serious problems for residents, especially in flood-affected areas,” Mr. Gbankpala further stated.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgTHE new owners of the Sand House Hotel in Rossnowlagh has created 15 new jobs to help cope with a huge upturn in business.Paul Diver only bought the premises two months ago at a stressed property auction in Dublin, paying €650k for a hotel once valued at €6M.But he says there has been so much good will from people travelling to the hotel from all over the world as well as locally that he has had to bring in extra staff. “I’ve had to bring in 15 more staff than I would normally have at this time of the year,” Mr Diver confirmed today.He had managed the hotel for 20 years before getting the chance to own it in that auction.“We were booked out over Easter and that was the busiest I have ever seen it here in all my time,” said the owner today.“Local people have been fantastic. Those on the staff here are from around the area and we have seen so much business from throughout Co Donegal from people supporting the hotel. “We’ve also seen a huge increase in visitors from the rest of the Republic of Ireland which wouldn’t have been the case before.”Mr Diver has taken on new staff in the kitchen, bar and for the spa which has seen a massive jump in trade.He said there had also been a lot of new visitors from America, the North and Britain.  DELIGHT AS NEW DONEGAL HOTEL OWNER CREATES 15 EXTRA JOBS was last modified: April 16th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DELIGHT AS NEW DONEGAL HOTEL OWNER CREATES 15 EXTRA JOBSlast_img read more