first_imgALAMEDA — The Raiders added veteran defensive tackle Terrell McClain Wednesday and announced the departure of three other players related to transactions made the previous day.Among those let go was defensive tackle Corey Liuget, who was signed before the start of the regular season and whose contribution was minimal. Also let go were linebacker Dakota Allen and defensive end Kasim Edebali, the latter who was with the Raiders less than a week.The Raiders made official two other signings that …last_img read more

first_img20 September 2013 Two hospitals and eight clinics in the OR Tambo district are to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch as part of a massive overhaul of the health care system in the Eastern Cape, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi announced on Thursday. Speaking to journalists in Pretoria, Motsoaledi said that both the Department ofHealth Department and National Treasury were aware of the major health, financial and resources challenges in the Eastern Cape. This was especially the case in OR Tambo, one of 11 districts selected to pilot South Africa’s National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme. Motsoaledi said OR Tambo had been chosen as a pilot district “specifically because we wanted to take that opportunity to fix a multiplicity of problems the district is experiencing”. The district has 167 clinics, 12 community health centres, 13 district hospitals, two regional hospitals and three specialised hospitals. Among the eight clinics to be demolished, five of them will be built during this financial year, with contractors due on site by January 2014. In addition, two nursing colleges, Butterworth Nursing College and Madzine-Ka-Zulu Nursing College, would be fully refurbished, with work starting in October and due for completion by March. Motsoaledi said the national department was working around the clock with the provincial department of halth to improve infrastructure in the rest of the province. “We are implementing 287 projects covering new additions, upgrades, renovations and maintenance work in 132 facilities. One hundred and fifty-nine of these projects are at construction phase, while the rest are at developmental phase.” “A total amount of R1.045-billion has been budgeted for this work up to the end of the financial year.” Motsoaledi said the rebuilding of the Eastern Cape health department had been going on for some time. In May, he and Deputy Health Minister Gwen Ramokgopa had spent four hours with the executive council in Bisho. “Two weeks ago, a new HOD was appointed. He was working here at the head office. After a long time of [having an] acting position, the Eastern Cape has got a permanent CFO and a permanent deputy director-general for human resources. “I have just spoken to the new HOD this week to prioritise appointments in the directorate of pharmaceutical services.” Motsoaledi added that the adverts for new CEO positions at a number of hospitals, after some delay, would be appearing in the media in the next few days. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

first_imgThe Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Related Posts You have done it. Your co-workers have done it. You have seen it effect companies, athletes, celebrities. It is the curse of Stupid Tweet Syndrome.Well, it is time to get some Stupid Tweet Insurance.Kiln Group, an insurance specialist underwriting firm at Lloyds of London, wants to protect companies from the damage that Stupid Tweet Syndrome (our name for the disease) can cause. Details are not clear as to what exactly the insurance would pay out but if a brand is substantially damage by a vindictive or careless tweet, Kiln Group would be able to cover it.AllTwitter at Media Bistro picked up the story from City News Toronto. Companies that get Stupid Tweet insurance could pay $100,000 for $10 million in coverage. If it seems like a joke, well yes there is a certain level of absurdity to the idea of insuring yourself against a tweet. Yet, the possibility of significant damage being done is very real.Twitter is a mode of communication. Like any other mode of communication, people can cause harm to brand or reputation if they purposely send tweets that are lies. Would a libel suit not be considered libel just because it was tweeted and not, for instance, blogged?AllTwitter cites Erik Dolden, a lawyer for Vancouver-based Dolden Wallace Folick LLP, who says that the tweet (or some derivation of) “My boss is a big fat cow,” is very common. Employees tweeting disapproval of their bosses is nothing new but it can lead to lawsuits between the corporation and the employee and where there is the risk of lawsuits, there is insurance.According to the report, Stupid Tweet insurance for individuals is probably five years away. So, celebrities and athletes that say idiotic or insensitive things on Twitter are not yet covered. But, the brands they represent could be. A recent example would be the dust up between insurance company Aflac and comedian Gilbert Gottfried. Gottfried was the “voice” of the Aflac duck until he was fired by the company after he made insensitive tweets about the recent earthquake in Japan. In the current Kiln Group scenario, Aflac would probably be able to cover itself against Gottfried’s remarks, though the comedian himself would not be able to insure his personal brand for comments he made on the social network. dan rowinski Tags:#twitter#web center_img A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro…last_img read more

first_imgEvery 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast “I think offensively, we were blessed to have contributions coming from almost everybody,” rookie coach Nash Racela said after getting four players in twin digits. “That doesn’t normally happen.”The Bolts got dumped into a huge hole early, scoring just eight points in the first 11 minutes before catching some fire in the third to make a game out of it somehow.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Defensively, we were decent today,” Racela added. “We made it hard for Meralco to make their shots. But we’re expecting them to make a lot of adjustments [for the second game].”Star also took a 1-0 lead in its quarterfinal series by crushing hapless defending champion Rain or Shine, 118-82, later in the night. Mo Tautuaa of TNT charges into Cliff Hodge of Meralco during Monday night’s quarterfinal duel between both squads. —AUGUST DELA CRUZWith a more involved offense and decent defensive, TNT KaTropa displayed why it is the favorite in its quarterfinal duel with Meralco in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup.Starving their foes nearly harmless outputs in the first two periods, the Texters scooted away early, staved off a mild uprising by the Bolts and then pulled away for a 102-84 victory Monday night at Smart Araneta Coliseum to move within a win of booking a semifinal berth.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Top-ranked Andy Murray eases into French Open quarterfinals Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession cloudscenter_img LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast The Texters built so much momentum early that they didn’t have much difficulty rediscovering their rhythm in the fourth as they opened up leads of as big as 24 on the way to a series opening win.“No one wins a best-of-three series by winning Game 1,” Racela said. “But of course, it’s good to get that [first win] out of the way and take a winning feeling going into Game 2.”Jason Castro scored 25 points and Joshua Smith scattered 19 despite coming off the bench and playing limited minutes because of a bum stomach. He could have easily excused himself from the game, but opted not to.“I wasn’t a hundred percent today, but I wasn’t going to let my teammates go out there by themselves,” Smith, a replacement for Donte Greene, said. “I just wanted to help them out.”ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

first_imgTouch Football Australia’s official footwear supplier, X-Blades has another great deal for the Touch Football community, this time on their 2013 Legend Sleek boot.The 2013 Legend Sleek can be yours for just $100, a saving of $40, plus free shipping. To take advantage of this great saving, follow the link below and use the code ‘TFASL’ at checkout.http://www.bladesfootball.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_44&product_id=739 Stay tuned to www.austouch.com.au for more great deals from X-Blades. Related LinksX-Blades Promotionlast_img read more

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Slovenia-based supplier of blockchain solutions for logistics, CargoX has launched the first open, neutral, and accessible blockchain platform in the shipping industry. The company said that, by using the CargoX platform, shipping, freight forwarding, NVOCC, exporting and importing companies, forwarder alliances and networks, and ecosystems providing solutions for logistics and supply chains all over the world can speed up their business and slash costs.The neutral and partner-independent platform offers a decentralized and cryptographically secure environment for sending digital documentation by means of a public blockchain network. It supports multi-user workflows, it is integration friendly since it is accessible through a browser, and it requires only a minimum investment for customers to start using it, according to CargoX.The CargoX platform is based on the CargoX’s Blockchain Document Transaction System (BDTS) technology. Additionally, the platform gives companies the power to create, transfer, and state undoubted ownership of information or documentation, and the various types of maritime shipping documents are only the first to be available – among them the master bill of lading, house bill of lading, telex and express releases, switch bill of lading, sea waybills, and other types of documents and custom attachments. CargoX confirmed that blockchain-based letters of credit (L/C) and trade finance solutions, which are already in development, will be added soon.The system stores documents and data securely encrypted on a public globally accessible blockchain network, hence implementation of new infrastructure is not needed. The platform can be used by businesses of any size.last_img read more

first_imgThe Toronto Stock Exchange shut down early Friday because of a technical problem. Here are some of the most active companies traded on the exchange as of 1:37 p.m. ET:Toronto Stock Exchange (15,668.93, up 31.34 points)Detour Gold Corp. (TSX:DGC). Miner. Down $4.35, or 30.21 per cent, to $10.05 on 7.6 million shares.Baytex Energy Corp. (TSX:BTE). Oil and gas. Down 15 cents, or 2.63 per cent, to $5.55 on 5.9 million shares.Bombardier Inc. (TSX:BBD.B). Aerospace, rail equipment. Down three cents, or 0.75 per cent, to $3.99 on 4.8 million shares.Aurora Cannabis Inc. (TSX:ACB). Healthcare. Down seven cents, or 0.91 per cent, to $7.65 on 4.3 million shares.Potash Ridge Corp. (TSX:PRK). Miner. Up two cents, or 23.53 per cent, to 10.5 cents on 3.6 million shares.Precision Drilling Corp. (TSX:PD). Oil and gas. Up seven cents, or 1.59 per cent, to $4.46 on 3.5 million shares.Companies reporting major news:Cameco Corp. (TSX:CCO). Miner. Up 27 cents, or 2.08 per cent, to $13.22 on 1.4 million shares. The uranium miner reported a first quarter profit compared with a loss a year ago as it was helped by a restructuring of its Kazakh joint venture and higher uranium prices and sales. The Saskatoon-based company says it earned $55 million (14 cents per share) compared with a loss of $14 million (five cents per share) a year ago.last_img read more

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – Finance Minister Bill Morneau is headed west next week with plans to give a speech to a Calgary business audience a day ahead of a deadline set by Kinder Morgan for its controversial Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.The Calgary Chamber of Commerce, which announced the event set for May 30, says the speech will focus on securing Canada’s economic future.Kinder Morgan suspended all non-essential construction on the Trans Mountain project in April, citing obstruction by B.C. that put the viability of the pipeline in question. The company has set a May 31 deadline for getting assurances it can proceed without delays on the controversial project.Morneau said last week the federal government is willing to cover cost overruns caused by political uncertainty on the pipeline project.However, the minister also said if Kinder Morgan were to walk away from the pipeline, there are other investors willing to step in.last_img read more

first_imgLondon: Britain has asked EU leaders to delay Brexit until June 30, Prime Minister Theresa May told parliament on Wednesday, on eve of an EU summit in Brussels. May said she had written to EU President Donald Tusk “informing him that the UK seeks an extension to the Article 50 period to June 30”. “I don’t want a long extension,” she said, warning that a longer delay would mean Britain having to hold European Parliament elections at the end of May. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US”The idea that three years after voting to leave the EU, the people of this country should be asked to elect a new set of MEPs is, I believe, unacceptable,” she said. “As prime minister, I am not prepared to delay Brexit any further than June 30,” she said. In the letter to Tusk released by Downing Street, May said she intended to bring the Brexit deal she has negotiated with the EU back to parliament even though MPs have rejected it twice by overwhelming margins. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”If the motion is passed, I am confident that parliament will proceed to ratify the deal constructively. But this will clearly not be completed before 29 March 2019,” she wrote, adding that the timetable for passing the necessary legislation to allow Brexit was “inevitably uncertain”. “I am therefore writing to inform the European Council that the UK is seeking an extension to the Article 50 period… until 30 June 2019.” Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Theresa May faced a cabinet revolt if she asked the EU for a long delay to Brexit, media reports said Wednesday, even after she had warned MPs of such a possibility. Downing Street confirmed that May would be asking EU leaders meeting in Brussels on Thursday to delay Britain’s March 29 exit day by only a short period, saying voters wanted to get on with Brexit. The decision followed a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, where several Brexit-supporting ministers reportedly indicated they might quit if the delay was long. Any delay can only be decided by EU leaders. One source was reported as saying that the divisions at the top of British government made it feel “like the last days of Rome”. May herself has repeatedly said she does not want to delay Brexit, but has conceded this is highly likely given the parliamentary deadlock over the process. MPs have twice rejected the divorce deal she struck with Brussels, and also ruled out leaving the EU with no deal.last_img read more

first_imgBeijing: Ahead of the crucial talks next month to finalise the texts of trade deal with the US to end the trade war, a top Chinese official said on Sunday that China will import more goods from the US to balance bilateral trade, a key demand of President Donald Trump. Trump is demanding China to reduce the USD 375 billion trade deficit and protection of intellectual property rights (IPR), technology transfer and more access to American goods to Chinese markets. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal He has already increased the tariffs on over USD 250 billion Chinese exports to the US and threatened to extend tariffs on USD 200 billion Chinese imports to 25 per cent. Trump held back his threat to impose additional tariffs on the rest of Chinese imports as both sides stepped up talks to finalise the text of the deal. The White House said recently that talks between Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He, China’s main trade negotiator and the US Trade Representative Robert Lighthize and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin will be held on April in Washington. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost Ahead of the talks, Vice-Premier and Politburo Standing Committee member Han Zheng told the China Development Forum in Beijing on Sunday that China will work to boost imports and achieve a more even balance of trade with the US. Han told a gathering of foreign business representatives and former government officials from the US and other countries that his government was committed to levelling the playing field. We do not aim to (increase the) trade surplus and sincerely want to increase imports to achieve trade balance, Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported. He said that China would improve market access, including shortening the negative list of industries in which foreign investment is limited or prohibited, and ban the practice of forcing foreign firms to transfer proprietary technology to joint venture partners. As the next step, we will continue to shorten the negative list for foreign investors and allow sole proprietorship of foreign businesses in more sectors, he said. China would also speed up the opening up of more sectors, including telecommunications, education and health care, he said. We will continue to strengthen intellectual property protection, prohibit forced technology transfers, and build a penalty and compensation system (for infringement cases),” he said. Beijing is reported to have promised to buy larger quantities of US agricultural and energy products to help achieve that goal. The trade gap for goods bought and sold by the US and China in 2018 rose 11.6 per cent from the previous year to a record USD 419 billion, the Post report said. China recently passed a new foreign investment law which for the first time provide an opportunity to foreign firms from June 1 to invest in China without joint ventures with protection to technology. Chinese officials say the new law with a negative list provides level playing field treating foreign firms on par with that of the domestic companies.last_img read more