AUSTIN, Texas (CMC):Lewis Hamilton won the United States Grand Prix yesterday to retain his Formula One drivers title with three races still left in the season. The 30-year-old Brit, whose paternal grandparents hail from Grenada, clocked one hour, 50.52 minutes to beat Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg into second spot and Sebastian Vettel into third.With the victory, Hamilton moved to an unassailable 327 points, with Vettel lying second with 251, and became the 10th driver to win at least three World titles, but only the second Brit.Hamilton became the first-ever black driver to win an F1 World title when he claimed his maiden triumph in 2008.
The Blackwater chairman said he supports legislation that would guarantee his employees and other private security companies working for the State Department are subject to prosecution in U.S. courts. The House was expected to consider such a bill, sponsored by Rep. David Price, D-N.C., today. At the same time, Prince said the government’s decision to include the FBI in the investigation of the Sept. 16 incident is proof that oversight and accountability already exist. Waxman said he was particularly concerned to learn the State Department advised the company on how much to pay the family of the Iraqi security guard shot by the drunken Blackwater employee in 2006. Internal e-mails later revealed a debate within the State Department on the size of the payment, Waxman said. “It’s hard to read these e-mails and not come to the conclusion that the State Department is acting as Blackwater’s enabler,” Waxman said. Administration officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said the incident had been referred to federal prosecutors in Seattle, where the former Blackwater employee now lives, but there has been no public announcement of any charges. State Department officials said Tuesday the criminal prosecution of such cases was out of their hands and should be handled by the Justice Department. “They’re the prosecutors. The State Department isn’t the prosecutors for the U.S. government,” Richard Griffin, assistant secretary of state for diplomatic security, told the House panel. David Satterfield, the Iraq coordinator for the State Department, said the U.S. and Iraqi ministry established a commission to examine use of contractors in Iraq. A separate U.S.-led panel, staffed with several independent advisers, is reviewing the security practices of diplomats. “The secretary of state has made clear that she wishes to have a probing, comprehensive, unvarnished examination of the overall issue of security contractors working for her department in Iraq,” he said. Waxman expressed frustration at the State Department representatives for not providing more information about Blackwater and its conduct in Iraq. “We’ve had a better response from Blackwater than we’ve had from the State Department in getting information,” Waxman said to Satterfield. “Does that bother you as much as it bothers me? Or do you have to find out whether you feel that way or not?” Waxman also cited a November 2004 crash in Afghanistan of a plane piloted by Blackwater pilots as an example of what he said is the company’s cavalier attitude. The crash of flight Blackwater 61 killed the Blackwater crew and three U.S. military passengers. According to information gathered by Waxman’s staff, the Blackwater pilots lacked experience flying in Afghanistan, but were joyriding through a valley before crashing into a canyon wall. Prince acknowledged pilot error, but said the military violated its own rules by loading people and explosives onto Blackwater 61.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The committee agreed not to look into the Sept. 16 incident during Tuesday’s hearing after the Justice Department requested that Congress wait until the FBI concludes its investigation. Prince cast his company as a scapegoat for broader problems associated with government reliance on security contractors and the murky legal jurisdiction. He said his staff was composed of courageous individuals who face the same threats and high-stress environment as U.S. military personnel. He noted 30 Blackwater personnel have been killed and no Americans have died under the company’s watch. Prince, often leaning back to listen to the advice of his lawyer, Stephen Ryan, repeatedly refused to say whether former Blackwater employees were guilty of murder and said it should be up to the Justice Department to pursue charges against contractors who commit crimes overseas. In the case of the Christmas Eve shooting, Prince said the company fired and fined the individual. “But we, as a private organization, can’t do any more,” he told the House panel. “We can’t flog him. We can’t incarcerate him. That’s up to the Justice Department. We are not empowered to enforce U.S. law.” WASHINGTON – Blackwater chairman Erik Prince vigorously rejected charges Tuesday that guards from his private security firm acted like a bunch of cowboys immune to legal prosecution while protecting State Department personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan. “I believe we acted appropriately at all times,” Prince, a 38-year-old former Navy SEAL, calmly told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. His testimony came while the FBI is investigating Blackwater personnel for their role in a Sept. 16 shootout that left 11 Iraqis dead. The incident and others, including a shooting by a drunk Blackwater employee after a 2006 Christmas party, led to pointed questions by lawmakers about whether the government is relying too much on private contractors who fall outside the military courts martial system. “We’re not getting our money’s worth when we have so many complaints about innocent people being shot,” said Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Los Angeles, the committee chairman, at the conclusion of a hearing lasting almost six hours. “And it’s unclear whether they’re actually being investigated by the State Department, because we haven’t had any cooperation.”
After becoming a household name in South Africa as the lovable Bart in the SABC2 soap drama 7de Laan, actor Neil Sandilands is set to become a household name in the United States, landing regular roles in The 100 and a new series, Hap & Leonard.South African actor Neil Sandilands, best known for his role in the soapie 7de Laan is currently starring in two US television series. (Image: Sundance Channel)CD AndersonSandilands went to Los Angeles in 2007 to try his luck on the notoriously competitive acting circuit. In 2010, he featured in an episode of House MD, but soon ran out of luck. Returning to South Africa to star in a number of popular Afrikaans films, including the award-winning drama Die Ballade van Robbie de Wee, he returned to Hollywood in 2014, determined to make his mark.<br/>NEIL SANDILANDS REEL from Neil Sandilands on Vimeo.“I had to revert to other disciplines such as directing and post-production and sometimes built fences for my neighbours or some other unmentionable activities to simply keep the wolf at bay,” Sandilands told News24.ICYMI: “The 100′ Casts Neil Sandilands in Recurring Role for Season 3 http://t.co/SUk8Q8gtKz pic.twitter.com/VezmmJaopD— Twilightish (@Twilightish) July 24, 2015In January 2015, he had a recurring role on the 1980s-themed spy drama The Americans, which helped to boost his CV. From that, he landed two more regular roles on the teen sci-fi drama The 100 and a new series produced by Robert Redford’s Sundance TV channel called Hap & Leonard. It starts on 2 March 2016 in the US.While Sandilands struggled with rejection in Hollywood, describing the casting process as an “unforgiving craft”, his slow-burning tenacity has eventually paid off. “There’s no manual,” he explains about being an unknown actor in the Hollywood casting machine. “It is an inexact, non-verifiable science. I simply try to give it my all and be as best prepared as possible. I’m always off-book (not reading from the script). if you strike out on 99 half-truths, you may just sneak one moment of clarity past them.” Which is how he got the role on The 100.The 100Neil Sandilands – The 100 from Neil Sandilands on Vimeo.In The 100, a series about delinquent teenagers sent back to Earth 97 years after the apocalypse, Sandilands plays the role of Titus, political adviser and mythological flame-keeper of the Grounder organisation. He stars alongside other regular TV character actors such as Isaiah Washington (Grey’s Anatomy) and Paige Turco (Person of Interest).Reaction to Sandilands’ appearance on The 100 on South African television last month ignited Twitter, proving how popular his character on 7de Laan was locally:@njwsandilands when i saw your first episode of @cwthe100 me and my brother both shouted at the same time: Bart! Van 7deLaan! #SArepresent— Elle (@eldenelotter) February 16, 2016Watching #the100 and wondering why Titus looks so familiar and then it hit me.. Dis Bart van 7de Laan! @njwsandilands made me happy — Melissa Jaftha (@MelissaJaftha) March 2, 2016Big ups to “Bart” from 7de Laan a.k.a Neil Sandilands, fellow South African actor in #The100 Good job bra! #Proud— Ünçencøred Being (@CjUnicornLv) February 5, 2016Sandilands hopes that the show, now in its third season, will be renewed for a fourth and that his character’s pivotal role will remain relevant. “The show has grown exponentially (with a good social media presence). It has become hugely successful cult television,” says Sandilands.Hap & LeonardNeil Sandilands Hap & Leonard from Neil Sandilands on Vimeo.As the newest series for independent film and television network Sundance TV, Hap & Leonard is already gaining interest and industry buzz as one of the more innovative and well written TV dramas. Based on the cult books by Joe R Lansdale, described as “Elmore Leonard in Texas”, the show follows the adventures of two wise-cracking, crime-fighting best friends in the Lone Star State in the 1970s.Yes, meet the Crew!!!! Tomorrow night. #HapAndLeonard #SundanceTV. Season Premiere. Retweet the crap outa this. https://t.co/1MfQxuamJq— neil sandilands (@njwsandilands) March 1, 2016Sandilands plays Paco, a disfigured radical hippie on the run from the FBI who joins the two main characters in a search for sunken treasure. The cast includes Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) and Michael Kenneth Williams (Boardwalk Empire). Sandilands is looking forward to seeing the show challenge the already crowded and ever-evolving television narrative culture brought on by the rise of Netflix and HBO.Paco in the making. #hap&leonard #neilsandilands #Sundance #JR Lansdale. pic.twitter.com/h2tPMlkJmI— neil sandilands (@njwsandilands) May 28, 2015But would Sandilands consider returning to South Africa to star in local productions, and help the film and television industry operate on the same standard?“Absolutely,” he concludes, “it remains the work I am most naturally suited to do. (South Africa) is my motherland, Afrikaans is the tongue of my mother.”Neil Sandilands at the SundanceTV “Hap and Leonard” premiere party in NYC. #HapAndLeonard https://t.co/ctqWX2RI9K pic.twitter.com/TCoJ9oDs8n— Portroids (@portroids) February 27, 2016Source: News24Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Abigail Paxton 2019-2020 Utica FFA ReporterOn September 24, 14 high school students took a trip to Infirmary Mound Park for the Licking and Franklin County sub-district soils Career Development Event (CDE). There they competed individually in several components of the Ag soils CDE. The components were 2 pits to judge, a general knowledge exam, and a soil survey test, based on using the land for ag purposes. They judged the pits by structure, texture, water tables, slope, landform, and living organisms and how those properties would affect soil erosion, water quality, compaction, and soil health. The general knowledge exam is based on the Ohio FFA Ag Soils Manual, while the soil survey exams asked questions about the test site, based from the Web Soil Survey. Our team was 1st place out 4 teams and Amanda Annett placed 1st, Emily Hill 2nd, and Kenneth Davenport 3rd and were the top 3 individuals at the contest.. Abby Paxton and Matthew Swafford round out the top 5 members of the team and moved onto the district competition. Everyone had a blast!On October 1, the top 5 students traveled to Carroll Ohio and represented out chapter. Thank you to the Brandt Family Farms for hosting this event for all of the district 7 FFA members. Our team placed 2nd out of 17 teams. Amanda Annett placed 1st out of 76 students, Emily Hill placed 16th, Kenneth Davenport 20th, Abby Paxton 32nd, and Matthew Swafford 69th. The top 4 will advance onto state on October 12! We are beyond excited for our members.
Amid confusion over seat-sharing among NDA alliance partners in Bihar, Rashtriya Lok Samata Party president Upendra Kushwaha on Friday said his party would contest on more than three seats, the number it had contested in 2014 Lok Sabha poll.“We will contest more than three seats, the number we had contested in last 2014 Lok Sabha polls,” RLSP chief Upendra Kushwaha said while addressing journalists in Patna.“Lok Janshakti Party and RLSP too are in the NDA alliance in Bihar… you can well understand why until now final seat-sharing announcement has not been made even after they said that it would be announced in next 2-3 days.” BJP president Amit Shah and JD(U) chief Nitish Kumar declared in Delhi recently that both parties would contest on “equal number” of seats out of total 40 Parliamentary seats in Bihar.“My party RLSP had made an alliance with the BJP at the time when even in the BJP there was confusion over Narendra Modi to be declared as PM candidate… we had then said in Bihar that Narendra Modi should be the PM candidate. My alliance is with the BJP, and not with the JD(U). Ever since JD(U) has come in the alliance confusion has increased,” he added.When asked who did he consider bigger leader between Lalu Prasad or Nitish Kumar, Mr. Kushwaha said: “Lalu Prasad Yadav is history as he is not into politics so there should not be any comparison between the two.” Regarding Tejaswi Yadav, Mr. Kushwaha said, Mr. Tejaswi Yadav is “under training”.Mr. Kushwaha said that he will be going to Delhi in next few days and would try to meet BJP chief Amit Shah and Mr. Modi over seat-sharing. Regarding his party wanting a ministerial position under NDA in Bihar, he said, “I do not wish to eat stale food.”He also reiterated that he was hurt over Mr. Kumar addressing him as neech (mean) person in a programme. “Nitish Kumar should withdraw his statement… it has hurt me much,” Mr. Kushwaha said.He announced that RLSP would launch a programme “Shiksha mein sudhar-Jan Jan ka Adhikar (reform in education-everyone’s right) from November 28 in every district headquarter of Bihar.
GAB chair Abraham Kahlil Mitra welcomed the WBO’s decision to carry out a review, saying that even if that won’t change the outcome of the contentious bout, it will send a strong signal that any sign of leniency, abuse of authority or wrongdoing would not be tolerated.Valcarcel said five anonymous judges will review the bout, assigning their own scores to rounds.“Then, we will tabulate the results to ascertain clearly which rounds each fighter won using an average scale based on 60, 80 and 100 percent,” Valcarcel added. “This means that three of the five officials have to agree to determine which fighter won the round.”Valcarcel supported the judges, who have each scored hundreds of fights: “The officials who participated in this fight are all professional, distinguished, honest and honorable human beings.”A similar case happened when Pacquiao lost to Timothy Bradley by split decision on June 9, 2012 in their first showdown at MGM Grand Garden Arena.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES Meralco, JPV battle for top spot Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Nikki Valdez rushes self to ER due to respiratory tract infection View comments Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong That time, judge Jerry Roth sided with Pacquiao, 115-113, but was overturned by judges CJ Roth and Duane Ford who both scored the bout 115-113 in Bradley’s favor.Due to howls of protest all over the world, a panel of competent judges was formed to review the tape of the fight.Eventually, all five men chose Pacquiao the winner and it was not even close, 117-111 twice, 118-110, 116-112 and 115-113. The panel’s decision was duly noted, but Bradley’s victory was never reversed. —WITH REPORTS FROM AP MOST READ Jeff Horn, left, of Australia and Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines fight during their WBO World welterweight title bout in Brisbane, Australia, Sunday, July 2, 2017. Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight world title to Horn in a stunning, unanimous points decision in the Sunday afternoon bout billed as the Battle of Brisbane in front of more than 50,000 people. (AP Photo/Tertius Pickard)He was at ringside when Jeff Horn was rewarded with a unanimous decision win over Manny Pacquiao. He was present at the post-fight conference which Team Pacquiao chose to skip.World Boxing Organization president Paco Valcarcel must have seen and felt that there were merits on the call for review of the scorecards by the Games and Amusements Board (GAB), which was endorsed by Pacquiao, that he acceded.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Manny Pacquaio attends church ahead of fight against Jeff Horn PLAY LIST 01:39Manny Pacquaio attends church ahead of fight against Jeff Horn01:17Pacquiao on Horn: ‘I never underestimate my opponent’01:06Palace: Up to MTRCB to ban animated movie Magellan in PH02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Valcarcel ordered the formation of a five-man independent panel that will re-score the tape of “Battle of Brisbane” to find out whether Horn really did enough to snatch Pacquiao’s welterweight title last Sunday.Judges Chris Flores and Ramon Cerdan both scored the bloody 12-round, 115-113, while judge Waleska Roldan saw it 117-112.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsBut even if the panel scores the bout in favor of Pacquiao, the result can no longer be changed, according to the WBO.“The purpose of this review is to be able to give the fans certainty of who was the winner of the bout, even though we do not have the power to reverse the decision of the judges,” said Valcarcel. Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena