first_imgFor the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPerpetual Help’s Prince Eze, the Most Valuable Player award front-runner at the end of the first round, sparkled down the stretch as Saints All Stars outlasted Heroes, 84-80, in the fourth annual NCAA All Star Game last Friday night at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.In a surprisingly tough and competitive encounter, the 6-foot-10 Eze, playing heavy minutes, drained two free throws with 10 seconds remaining to seal the victory for the Saints of San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next While Eze did most of the damage inside the paint, Fernandez also had a San Beda-Letran combination to thank for as Rey Nambatac joined forces with Robert Bolick and Javee Mocon in a strong finish.Bolick nailed a triple from the corner with 1:49 for an 82-80 cushion.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Eze, who also had 14 rebounds, was named MVP of the All Star game, matching the achievement of his former teammate Bright Akhuetie.“At least the players enjoyed and we were able to balance their playing time,” said Fernandez. “Eze played really well. He has really blossomed as a player.” Police seize P68-M worth of ‘shabu’ in Pasay Britain’s Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to give up royal titles Lady Eagles kick off bid vs Lady Bombers Hotdog’s Dennis Garcia dies Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Lyceum’s CJ Perez finished with 15 points and four steals for Heroes. But Perez struggled just like Kent Salado in the final minute as the Saints tightened up on defense.Meanwhile, Arellano forward Lervin Flores ruled the slam dunk contest, leaping over three people, including comedian Empoy Marquez who was among the judges.Flores’ perfect 50 dunk in the final round rescued what was an otherwise drab affair which saw six of the nine participants unable to convert their dunk attempts.It was redemption for Flores, who was left frustrated last year when he failed to get past the first round of the competition.Justin Gutang of St. Benilde settled for second place after getting a score of 45 for his 360 slam.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Mapua ruled two side events as Almel Orquina topped the three-point contest, besting a strong field that also included 2016 champion Amiel Soberano. Another Cardinal, JP Nieles ruled the skills challenge while Perpetual, led by GJ Ylagan, topped the Shooting Stars competition. National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal Bishop Baylon encourages faithful in Albay to help Taal evacuees MOST READ Search on for 5 Indonesians snatched anew in Lahad Datu View commentslast_img read more

first_img“We have great expectations from the United States,” Babacan said at a news conference following his meeting with Rice. “We are at the point where words have been exhausted and where there is need for action.” Ankara has said Turkey wants to hear specifics about what the United States is prepared to do to counter the rebel Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, or Turkey will launch an attack. Rebel attacks against Turkish positions over the last month have left 47 dead, including 35 soldiers, according to government and media reports. Many Turks are furious with the United States for its perceived failure to pressure Iraq into cracking down on the PKK, which operates from bases in the semiautonomous Kurdish region of northern Iraq. Street protesters have urged the government to send forces across the border even if it means deepening the rift with the U.S., their NATO ally. Turkey’s military chief has said the country will wait until after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan meets with President George W. Bush next week in Washington to make a final decision about an assault. Washington worries a Turkish incursion would bring instability to what has been the calmest part of Iraq, and could set a precedent for other countries, like Iran, that also have conflicts with Kurdish rebels. Babacan returned from a trip to Iran last week, lobbying for support for the Turkish side and underscoring that Turkey will act as it sees fit, regardless of U.S. pressure. ANKARA, Turkey – Faced with the prospect of another front opening in the already difficult Iraq war, the United States struggled Friday to persuade Turkey not to send its army across the Iraqi border to attack guerrillas who use the remote terrain to launch strikes inside Turkey. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged calm and cooperation in a string of meetings with top Turkish leaders fed up with rebel attacks and insistent that Turkey will do what it must to stop them. She made a similar argument later Friday in a separate meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, whose government has said it will not stand for any cross-border assault. Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan sounded impatient, and he offered no public promise of the restraint Washington seeks. “We all need to redouble our efforts, and the United States is committed to redoubling our efforts,” Rice said. She said the United States is working to broaden its sharing of intelligence and has begun discussing longer-term solutions that would involve Turkey, Iraq and the United States. In a sign of potential cooperation, the Kurdish region’s Minister of Culture Falkadin Kakei told The Associated Press in Baghdad that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party has agreed to meet a delegation of Iraqi Kurds to discuss the crisis.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgSeachtain na Gaeilge Wednesday 9th March 2016 11 a.m. To 1 p.m. Venue Rosses CDP Chapel Rd Dugloe Celebrate Seachtain na Gaeilge with a morning of Culture, Music,by Michael Coyle . Enjoy some home baking and refreshments Donation on the day for the homeless.Seachtain na Gaeilge De Céadaoin 9ú Márta 2016 11 – 1 o’chlog. Rosses CDP Bothair an tSéipéil An Clochan Liath . Bigí linn le ceiliúradh a dheanamh ar Seachtain na Gaeilge, le Ceol Michael Coyle, Cultúr,. Bain sult as bacáil baile agus soláistí. Cead isteach: Tabharthas fa choinne iadsan gan dídean.Social Morning through Irish in Teach Neil O’Donáill, Loughanure . Has commenced Tuesday 23rd February 2016 11am to 12.30pm for 6 weeks. If you have any skills as knitting, crochet, carpentry, creel making etc, bring them along with you. This is a good opportunity for both men and women to improve their conversational Irish skills.Admission is Free. Maidin Sóisialta trí Ghaeilge i teach Neil O’Donáill, Loch an IuirAg tosach 23ú Feabhra 2016 11.00 – 12.30, fa choinne 6 seachtain. Má tá scileanna agat i cniotal, cróise, cearpeantóireacht, ag deanamh cliabh, tabhair leat isteach iad. Seo deis do mná agus fir feabhas a chur ar a gcuid Gaeilge labhartha. Cead isteach: Saor in aisceThe Power of Postive Thinking: For Women Workshop CDP na Rosann Chapel Road Dungloe Tuesday the 22nd March 7.30-9.30pm. Contact 0879031389 or 074 95 61686 for bookings or enquiries.Ceardlann”The Power of Positive Thinking Fa choinne mná Saor in aisce CDP na Rosann, Bothair an tSéipéil an Chlochán Liath. De Máirt 22ú Marta 7.30-9.00,Cur scairt ar 087 9031389/ 074 95 61686 fa choinne áit a chur in airithne agus tuilleadh eolasCOMMUNITY: ROSSES CDP HOST MORNING OF MUSIC AND CULTURE was last modified: February 29th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FeaturesNoticesRosses CDPlast_img read more

first_imgSanta may be the busiest man in the world at the minute but he still has time to stop off at Arena7 for the best kids Christmas disco in the world. This Sunday, December 11, from 4pm to 6pm not only will Santa make an appearance but he is bringing a few of his mates with him. The Minions are two close friends of Santa, as well as Elsa from Frozen and of course long term friend Peppa Pig will be at Waynes World Adventure Centre to dance with all the kids. Children can play in the adventure centre, dance with all the characters and also meet the man himself Santa, who we hear will have a small gift for each child before the main event on December 25th. Mum and Dad will be treated to some delicious mince pies and are welcome to join in with all the dancing too.All this will take place from 4pm this Sunday and all you have to do is pay into the kids adventure centre as normal, which is €4 for 2 year olds and under or €6 for 3 year olds to 9 year olds. Join us for a fun day for all the family! Please note that the Waynes World Adventure Centre is not suitable for kids 10 year olds and over. Merry Christmas Everyone!Call Arena7 on 0749128853 for more detailsWho’s going to be at Arena7’s Christmas Disco? was last modified: December 7th, 2016 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Arena7CHristmaseventslast_img read more

first_img Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Latest Transfer News Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti RANKED Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January 1 LATEST targets The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Cenk Tosun is set for a return to Beisktas after failing to shine at Everton, according to reports.The Turkey international only arrived at Goodison Park in January after Sam Allardyce convinced Farhad Moshiri to break the bank and sign the striker.center_img targets Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father IN DEMAND REVEALED According to Turkish outlet MyNet, the two clubs are already in discussions about the move while Tosun would be open to the return.Besiktas are in the market for a new central striker following the departure of Alvaro Negredo. However, the 27-year-old striker has had mixed fortunes in England since arriving from Besiktas in a £27m January move.In total he has scored six goals in 22 Premier League appearances since his arrival 10 months ago but only one of those have come from eight appearances so far this term.As such, he has been linked with a January departure and now it has been suggested that his former club Besiktas want to bring him back on loan when the window opens. LIVING THE DREAM Tosun has failed to set the Premier League alight at Everton last_img read more

first_imgA public meeting will be held this coming Friday, 13th March, at 6.30pm in Ionad Teampall Chroine as part of the campaign which is calling for the reinstatement of the Gynaecology and Antenatal Clinic in Dungloe Community Hospital.Protestors at Dungloe Community Hospital recently.The clinic which serves a large catchment area of west Donegal, from Fintown to Dunfanaghy and the wider Rosses area, including offshore islands such as Arranmore, has been closed since November 2014 due to the consultant being on sick leave.This now means patients have to travel to Letterkenny to avail of the service there. A campaign group was formed in January made up of concerned individuals, expectant mothers and community representatives and since its formation the group has been active making people in the locality aware of the issue, holding a protest outside the hospital and meeting with politicians and HSE representatives in an effort to have the clinic reopened.Speaking of the up-coming public meeting on Friday, spokesperson for the group Bridie Nic Giolla Easpuic said the time had come for all local politicians to lend their full weight to the campaign as the implications for the continued closure of the clinic could become a matter of life and death.“The HSE clearly haven’t taken into consideration what is involved for the women of all ages who now have to make the round trip to Letterkenny to use a service which was once here in a much more accessible location” Bridie Nic Giolla Easpuic said.“Public transport is exceptionally poor in this region and a journey to Letterkenny from Dungloe can be up to three hours for a round trip, which is particularly arduous for pregnant and elderly women alike. This is added to even more for women from Arranmore Island for example given the distance they have to travel and the fact they are constrained by the hours the ferries operate. “There is also the factor of cost of travel, both financially and time wise for all women who have to travel to Letterkenny. Indeed some or all of these factors are now causing some women to take the decision not to make the journey to Letterkenny which is putting their health at serious risk.”Calling for wide support for Fridays meeting Bridie Nic Giolla Easpuic said this public meeting is very important to all the women of this region.“We need everyone to come along and show their support. This affects us all including the men as the women whose health is being put at risk with this closure are our mothers and grandmothers, sisters, wives and daughters.“We have contacted all our local TD’s and local councillors and have asked them to attend the public meeting in Dungloe on Friday and show their support for the campaign. We can see no reason why any politician would not support the reinstatement of the clinic and do everything they can to support us in our efforts, and we thank those who have stood by us and helped us so far. Advertisement “We look forward to more politicians agreeing to attend the public meeting on Friday and coming on board and working together with our community to ensure this vital service remains in Dungloe in the long term for the health and wellbeing of all the women of our region.”HUGE TURN-OUT EXPECTED AT MEETING TO REINSTATE ANTENATAL CLINIC IN DUNGLOE was last modified: March 11th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgA young woman shouted “if you can’t beat them, eat them” after she bit a detective in a Garda station.Megan McQuaide was arrested after she was involved in a traffic accident in Barnesmore, Co Donegal on June 24th last. The 18-year-old was found by Gardai standing in the middle of the road and was shouting and striking out at the emergency services.McQuaide, of Meadowbank Avenue, Strand Road, Derry, was a passenger in a car but was unhurt.She was taken by ambulance to hospital but had to be accompanied by Gardai because of her behaviour.She was physically aggressive to hospital staff and was arrested for public order offences and taken to Letterkenny Garda station.As she was being released into the care of her grandmother when leaving Letterkenny Garda station, she sank her teeth into the chest of a female Garda.As she did so she shouted, “if you can beat them, eat them.”Letterkenny District Court heard how the accused broke through two layers of clothing and broke the skin of the Garda causing her severe bruising.Solicitor Patsy Galagher said his client, who pleaded guilty to public order and assault charges, had a severe history of drug using, both prescribed and unprescribed medication.Mr Gallagher said Ms McQuad was living with her grandmother who had been searching for her at the time of the incident for a number of days.“She was in a drug confused hell but she is in a very different place today and is trying her best,” Mr Gallagher told the court.Judge Paul Kelly ordered a Probation report on Ms McQuaid and adjourned the case until January 15th next.Woman shouted “if you can’t beat them, eat them” as she bit Garda was last modified: September 20th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BarnesmorebitDerrydonegalGardaMegan McQuaidelast_img read more

first_imgOAKLAND — Homer Bailey had to like what transpired Wednesday when he made his debut in an A’s Kelly Green and Gold uniform.Not only did Bailey allow just two earned runs over six innings, but he saw his new teammates smack six home runs.Mark Canha and Jurickson Profar both hit two homers and Chad Pinder and Ramón Laureano each added one as the A’s flattened the Seattle Mariners 10-2 at the Coliseum to extend their win streak to six games.This baseball wasn’t insured 😳@JURICKSONPROFAR#Rooted …last_img read more

first_imgMINNEAPOLIS — There was a lot more hurting than just the Raiders pride Sunday after their previously encouraging run defense found itself trampled by Dalvin Cook and the Minnesota Vikings.Three of the Raiders’ four linebackers, Vontaze Burfict (elbow), Nicholas Morrow (calf) and Marquel Lee left for extended periods of time because of injuries. The Minnesota Vikings broke the Raiders’ will to such a point that they never even attempted a forward pass in the fourth quarter en route to a …last_img read more

first_imgALAMEDA — The Raiders added veteran defensive tackle Terrell McClain Wednesday and announced the departure of three other players related to transactions made the previous day.Among those let go was defensive tackle Corey Liuget, who was signed before the start of the regular season and whose contribution was minimal. Also let go were linebacker Dakota Allen and defensive end Kasim Edebali, the latter who was with the Raiders less than a week.The Raiders made official two other signings that …last_img read more