Waterhouse coach Glendon ‘Admiral’ Bailey, who was brought in two months ago with the mission to save the team from relegation, believes that he can move them into the championship rounds. “It is a good victory for us as the team worked hard leading up to the match. The effort and fight were there today. We have to keep working,” Bailey said. “Our main problem is injuries and cards. However, there are a lot of points to play for and my job is to turn things around,” he added. Meanwhile, Arnett’s Jerome Waite credited Waterhouse for their determined approach, but believes there was too much physicality in the play. “It was a very physical game and I think more cards should have been issued. Waterhouse needed points and came to win at all cost,” Waite said. Veteran defender Irvino ‘Dada’ English came off the bench to score his first Premier League goal in six years to seal the deal in Waterhouse’s 3-0 win over Arnett Gardens at the Anthony Spaulding Complex yesterday. English, who stepped up to bury a free kick after only a minute on the pitch, was obviously elated about his struggling team’s victory. “I came back to the team last year after six years away and scored my first goal. It is always a special feeling to score against rivals Arnett,” English told The Gleaner. The win pushed Water House on to 18 points, but they remained in the relegation zone in 11th position in the 12-team Red Stripe Premier League. English says this win is encouraging and could turn things around. “This win could turn things around for us to climb up the table. I missed the league while away, and the fans called for me and I’m here to help put Waterhouse back where they belong,” the 38-year-old added. “I’m not where I want to be physically, but I am working hard on fitness. I really believe that the team can finish in the top six as we have quality players and a good coach.” Another substitute, Kemar Beckford, opened the scoring for Waterhouse in the 63rd minute before Romario ‘Rum Rum’ Campbell converted a chance six minutes later before English’s 81st- minute icing on the cake. Waterhouse, however, finished with ten players as central defender Jeffery Henry received a second yellow card and was ejected by referee Valdin Ledgister in second-half stoppage time. Yesterday’s results GOOD VICTORY Arnett Gardens 0 Waterhouse 3 Montego Bay United 2 Jamalco 1 Maverley-Hughenden 0 UWI FC 1 Reno 1 Portmore United 1 Tivoli 0 Humble Lion 0
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, (CMC): Back-to-back defeats to England last weekend have left West Indies facing a second straight series whitewash, a fate they will earnestly attempt to avoid when they contest the final One-Day International at Kensington Oval here today. The Caribbean side slumped to a 45-run loss in the opening game at the Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium last Thursday and two days later, lost by four wickets in the second encounter at the same venue. But even though the three-match series has already been decided, captain Jason Holder urged his side to stay focused on securing a victory especially with West Indies urgently needing to bolster their ranking in order to earn automatic qualification for the 2019 Cricket World Cup. “A win here obviously would be very valuable. Pakistan is ahead of us [in the one-day rankings] as well so we just need to pick up points there,” Holder told reporters here Wednesday. “We haven’t worked it out mathematically but we know the importance of every game especially playing a side that is higher ranked than us. We’ve got England now, Pakistan afterward, then we have India later down in the year and then we also have one-dayers in England. “Those are all teams that are ranked higher than us. “The magnitude of the situation is for us to win these games against higher ranked sides, and I think once we do that, we’ll definitely qualify for the World Cup.” In both previous games, West Indies found themselves with chances to turn the results their way, but lacked the killer instinct. Chasing 297 in the opener, they were 190 for four in the 39th over but threw away their last six wickets for 61 runs, to surrender meekly. Then, in last Sunday’s encounter, England plunged to 124 for six at the half-way stage in pursuit of 226 but West Indies proved sloppy in the field, and Joe Root (90 not out) and Chris Woakes (68 not out) capitalised, engineering an unbroken stand of 102 for the seventh wicket to frustrate the hosts. Holder said despite the two disappointing performances, the Windies had remained upbeat and were optimistic about turning their fortunes around. “We’ve also let ourselves down in the field in terms of dropping catches and being a bit sloppy in the field so that’s obviously an area we have paid some attention to, and I think once we hold those half chances, games can be a lot different for us.” Last October, West Indies were swept by Pakistan in a similar three-match series in United Arab Emirates. The following month, they struggled in Zimbabwe during the Tri-Nations Series involving the hosts and Sri Lanka, missing out on the final after winning just one of four games. Killer instinct
MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Alyssa Valdez stays positive despite PH loss in volleyball opener PLAY LIST 01:14Alyssa Valdez stays positive despite PH loss in volleyball opener00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny LATEST STORIES Kamworor holds off fellow Kenyan Kipsang to win NYC Marathon Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Alyssa Valdez may be miles away from home in Taiwan, but that didn’t stop her fans from showing their appreciation for their sporting hero.The three-time UAAP Most Valuable Player got a much-needed lift as Filipino fans made their presence felt during one of her games over the weekend.ADVERTISEMENT Valdez took the time and posed for pictures with the fans who went out of their way to cheer for her, paying off the support she got as she shook everyone’s hands.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogThe 24-year-old is currently seeing action in Taiwan, serving as an import for Attackline. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales?
A candidate “denied” for not participating in the Federation of Liberian Youth (FLY) just-ended election has described it an act of “lawlessness and a serious travesty to democracy.”Mr. Maxwell Grigsby ll, wanted to contest in the election, which has brought a new crops of officer for the youth umbrella organization.FLY conducted her 8th General Assembly over the weekend and elected officials to lead the federation despite an injunction from the Civil Law Court of Monrovia on the process.Prior to the rally, Maxwell Grigsby was denied from participating in the process by the outgoing leadership in consultation with the Ministry of Youth and Sports, which has direct oversight of FLY.In protest to his denial, Grigsby filed a lawsuit before the Civil Law Court, a move that prompted the Court to issue an injunction on the process in Kakata, Margibi County, but it is reported that the was ignored by the Federation’s outgoing leadership.Addressing a news conference Wednesday, April 30, in Monrovia, Grigsby termed FLY’s action as “complete disobedience to the court,” an action, he claimed, displays a negative image of young people in Liberia.Grigsby said: “I would like to address the refusal of Mr. Mohammed Ali Nasser to receive the Writ of Preliminary Injunction from the Civil Law Court and his defiance to the court by carrying out the controversial FLY election. It is no secret that Mr. Nasser successfully completed his mission in profiteering from FLY’s meager budgetary support and other immunities. These acts include a misuse of duty free privilege as well as his deliberate refusal to adhere to the laws of the Federation of Liberian Youth constitution. What is astonishing is that his disobedience has extended to the Civil Law Court of our country.It can be recalled that in an email exchange between Mr. Nasser and one of the executives of the Federation in the person of Ms. Daintowon Paye-bayee, Mr. Nasser is quoted by Ms. Payebaye is saying, the Ministry of Youth and Sports has absolutely no jurisdiction over him as president of FLY. He became even more demonstrative of his comments in the conduct of the just ended controversial election.“Our country’s laws came under attack on Saturday, April 26, 2014. Not necessarily because Nasser and his collaborators refused to accept the Writ of Preliminary Injunction from the court, but because a senior member of the security sector sanctioned his approval for the gross disrespect of the court order by speaking at the occasion after a constructive notice of the court was served,” he disclosed.When contacted, Deputy Minister for Youth Development at the Youth Ministry, Charles N’tow, released this sms message as the official response of the Ministry.Minister N’tow said: “The Ministry believes, trusts in, and completely submits to the wisdom of the court on this matter. Disputes ending up before the court are not a good sign for youth development. Since this matter involves the court, we can only yield to the wisdom and guidance of the court.”The Civil Law Court is yet to take action against FLY since the Writ was issued and subsequently ignored by FLY leadership.When contacted, Mr. Nasser told the Daily Observer that the case is now before the court so he could not comment on it. “I respect the court, since the case now before it, I have been advised by my lawyer to refrain from commenting on it in the media,” Nasser said. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Golf Fore the Cure ladies golf tournament at Lakepoint Golf Club was a phenomenal success last weekend.Annette Reader won the tournament’s top prize after an impressive round, shooting a 12-over 84.Tournament organiser Sam Warren says that the group was able to raise close to $5,000 for the Canadian Breast Cancer Society at last year’s tournament. Last Thursday, Warren said that preliminary statistics showed that the group was on track to nearly double their fundraising tally from last year, saying that the group was close to the $10,000 mark. Yesterday, Warren confirmed that the tournament actually raised over $12,000 for breast cancer research.- Advertisement –
1 Jeremy Menez Liverpool target Jeremy Menez has no plans to leave AC Milan this summer, according to his agent.The French playmaker has scored an impressive 16 goals in 34 appearances for Milan, sparking speculation that he could move to Merseyside in the summer.Monaco have also expressed an interest in the player, but Menez’s brother and agent, Kevin, insists that the 28-year-old will remain with the Rossoneri next season.“Liverpool and Monaco interest? Yes, a player with 16 goals would be in demand,” he told footmercato.net. “But for now there is nothing [concrete].“Jeremy is very happy at Milan. The club have told us nothing so there is no reason to leave, but we know in modern football, every player has his price.”
Chelsea have announced the signing of Matt Miazga from New York Red Bulls in a four-and-a-half year deal.The centre back joins the Blues for a reported fee of £3.5million and, according to Guus Hiddink, he will be a squad player for the rest of the season.But many supporters won’t have seen the American defender in action, so what can they expect from their new man?Check out the video above to see new Chelsea signing Matt Miazga in action for New York Red Bulls…
By Paul McLaughlin, Ballaghdearg Garden CentreGetting the most from your hanging basketsPutting up hanging baskets remains one of the most popular ways of adding summer colour and interest to people’s homes . This week we will take a look at few tips on the general care and maintenance of your hanging baskets so that you can get the full benefit of their blooms all through the flowering season. Undoubtedly the most important thing to remember when caring for a hanging basket is watering. As a general rule summer hanging baskets should be watered at least once a day but in particularly hot spells they may require watering as much as two or even three times a day. Probably the easiest way of checking your baskets moisture content is by checking the weight. At a time when you know your basket has sufficient water lift it up and try to gauge its weight, as the summer goes on you can use this weight as a rough guide for watering, the lighter the basket the more water it will require. Ideally watering should take place in the morning or evening as water applied at the hottest part of the day tends to evaporate before it does any real good and there is a risk that it might scorch the plants. When watering a basket apply the water directly to the soil surface and not from overhead as this tends to ruin the flowers. Another point to remember about watering is not to be fooled by rain. A lot of people think that because it has rained during the day that they don’t have to water that evening, but very often summer showers are not heavy enough to do the job and quite often baskets are placed in shady spots close to the house where they are sheltered from the rain.Along with daily watering hanging baskets should also be given a liquid feed every week. This feeding should be started about a month after the basket is planted up and should continue all the way through the flowering season. Regular feeding will ensure that your plants stay fresh and healthy and produce plenty of blooms all summer long. Weekly feeding should be carried out even if slow release fertilizer was added to the compost mix when the basket was planted up.To keep you’re hanging baskets in top condition all faded flowers should be removed regularly. This dead heading prevents the plants from producing seeds and helps to conserve the plants energy for producing more flowers. Deadheading is a job which can be done in a matter of seconds when you combine it with your daily watering. PAUL McLAUGHLIN’S GARDENING COLUMN: GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR HANGING BASKETS was last modified: July 24th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ballaghderg garden centrehanging basket advicePaul McLaughlin
EndsDONEGAL DRUG DEALER PEDDLED HEROIN FROM HIS GARDEN SHED was last modified: February 9th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) A drug dealer who supplied heroin to addicts across Co Donegal hid and dealt the drugs from his garden shed.Thomas O’Neill brought the drugs in from Scotland anally and then sold them from his house to a list of addicts from his home outside Doochary.When Gardai raided O’Neill’s house, he had two mobile phones – one with just the names of drug users which he supplied. Garda Sgt Tony Arnold told Letterkenny Circuit Court he received information that O’Neill was dealing heroin a few months earlier before he raided his home at Ballinacarrick in September 2009.Sgt Arnold and three other Gardai raided O’Neill’s home at 11pm but despite searching the house they could not find any drugs.However when they went to a shed at the back of O’Neill’s house, they discovered €20 notes on the floor and some small bags of heroin.After further searching the shed for three hours they discovered two balloons containing more than €3,200 worth of heroin in the loft of the shed.During the raid O’Neill admitted he had swallowed two bags of heroin when Gardai arrived and he was forced to pass it out.He claimed he bought the drugs in Scotland for £850 stg but would not tell Gardai who he had bought it off.Sgt Arnold, a former member of the Drugs Squad, said he had spoken to drug addicts in the fishing port of Killybegs and O’Neill’s name kept coming up.He said O’Neill also had a heroin habit and, despite only getting €230 unemployment benefit, had a habit of up to €100 a day.However whenever he was stopped by Gardai, he was never found with heroin.Judge John O’Hagan asked if the sting followed a long surveillance operation before Garda swooped.However Sgt Arnold said O’Neill’s drug dealing den was so remote that they could not keep it under surveillance.The Garda investigator said he thought O’Neill was now clean, had put on a stone in weight and had stopped dealing drugs.Judge O’Hagan asked Sgt Arnold if he deserved a chance.“I don’t think sending him to prison will do him any good mixing with certain people,” said Sgt Arnold.Judge O’Hagan adjourned sentencing for one year and ordered O’Neill to “keep his bib clean” and he will stay out of prison.
Chelsea defended superbly in the first half at the Eithad Stadium, denying Manchester City a notable effort on goal despite the champions having most of the possession.Diego Costa, back in the visitors’ starting line-up after a hamstring problem, has been well contained by Vincent Kompany and the two sides have so far cancelled each other out, with the pace of the game slowing after a high-tempo start.Costa did get a sight of goal just before the break but Fernandinho was alert to the danger and denied the Spain striker as he looked to pounce on Branislav Ivanovic’s header down.Blues boss Jose Mourinho recalled Cesar Azpilicueta at left-back, with Filipe Luis dropping back to the bench having started against Schalke in midweek.Chelsea legend Frank Lampard is on the bench for City. Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Ramires, Matic; Willian, Fabregas, Hazard; Costa. Subs: Cech, Luis, Oscar, Drogba, Mikel, Schürrle, Remy.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook