A resident sits in front of her house in a densely populated area near the railway in Central Jakarta. (Antara/Rivan Awal Lingga)As of Friday, Indonesia had recorded 369 confirmed cases with 32 deaths, the highest toll in Southeast Asia. Nearly 60 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the country have been recorded in Jakarta.The capital, home to at least 10 million people, recorded 223 confirmed cases and 294 suspected cases, with 345 people under surveillance, according to the city’s official website corona.jakarta.go.id as of Friday at 4 p.m. The death toll in the city alone reached 19, making its death rate, 8.5 percent, much higher than the global average of 3.9 percent.While the data from Jakarta does not show whether the virus has reached densely populated areas or not, experts have warned of a higher risk of contracting the coronavirus for the urban poor living in informal settlements due to the more crowded living conditions.Statistics Indonesia’s (BPS) Jakarta office recorded that Jakarta had 445 community units (RWs) categorized as slums, comprising 15 RWs categorized as heavy, 99 moderate, 205 light and 126 very light.Handwashing and maintaining self-hygiene is a basic precaution against the coronavirus, but the agency recorded in 2018 that 15 percent of Jakarta’s population lacked access to proper sanitation.A researcher at the London-based International Institute for Environment and Development, Cecilia Tacoli, said proximity was an important driver of infection.“Given that new infectious diseases will likely continue to spread rapidly into and within cities, low-income settlements need more effective infrastructure,” she said as quoted by Thomson Reuters Foundation.Mobilizing communityAnies has ordered subdistrict heads to ensure all residents are informed about the virus and prevention methods, as well as the measures the administration has implemented, such as the social distancing campaign and prohibition of mass gatherings.“Subdistrict heads will cooperate with RT and RW heads to ensure all [residents] are aware of the risk of transmission. […] That should be done at the grassroots level,” Anies told reporters on Thursday.Despite the planned attempt, low-income groups who live in densely populated areas have so far learned on their own about the coronavirus through social media and the media.Kampung Marlina resident in North Jakarta, Paryati, said the kampung residents had mostly relied on information shared through WhatsApp groups.She also said the limited access to personal hygiene equipment, in particular hand sanitizer, had forced the community to produce their own hand sanitizer for local use.“Not only is it difficult to find [hand sanitizer] at stores, but it is also pricey,” she told The Jakarta Post on Thursday.Marsa, who lives in a a temporary shelter for evicted families along with other 32 families in Kampung Kunir in West Jakarta, said he and his neighbors understood that maintaining their health was the best precaution.Pigeons roam Fatahillah Square in Kota Tua, West Jakarta, on March 15 after Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan closed several tourist destinations on March 13. (JP/Wendra Ajistyatama)“We try not to panic because [whether we contract the virus or not] depends on our belief [in God], but still we protect ourselves by washing our hands and drinking [herbal drinks],” he said.Despite there having been no reported COVID-19 cases in the city’s kampungs so far, according to Paryati and Marsa, who are both active in Urban Poor Linkage (JRMK), the presence of the virus had been a strain on their finances.“What we are thinking about now is how to make ends meet,” Marsa told the Post.Many kampung residents rely on crowd activivies on the streets and tourist destinations like Ancol Dreamworld Park and Kota Tua. The closure of tourist destinations and the drop in foot traffic has hurt their income.The government suggestion to stay at home is oftentimes not feasible for residents who have to leave home to earn money.Home isolationAnother threat comes from the overwhelmed hospitals, which forced the Jakarta administration to impose home isolation on hundreds of people suspected of having COVID-19. Moreover, dozens of people who tested positive with mild symptoms are also under home isolation.Read also: Dozens of COVID-19 positive people are in home isolation in Jakarta. How does it work?.The problem with this policy is that the protocol relies on the conscience of every isolated patient not to leave home and spread the virus.Home isolation in a densely populated area is even riskier because of the constrained space and rooms that are often shared, said Annie Wilkinson, a research fellow at research organization the Institute of Development Studies, Thomson Reuters Foundation reported.Paryati and Marsa both acknowledged that self isolation for families in kampungs was not possible.“I don’t think it is possible to self-isolate. We would need help from the healthcare systems and the government,” Marsa said.Public health expert from the University of Indonesia (UI), Hasbullah Thabrany, called on the city administration to utilize unused places such as schools left by students as temporary “isolation wards”. The government is preparing the Athletes Village in Kemayoran to be turned into a COVID-19 isolation facility.In a broader view, experts have urged the government to consider the various economic and social backgrounds of society in an attempt to suppress the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.“This can be done, for example, by strengthening poverty eradication programs and establishing universal health coverage for low-income households,” I Nyoman Sutarsa from Rural Clinical School at the Australian National University (ANU) and Atin Prabandari from Gadjah Mada University expressed their views in an article first published by The Conversation. (fqh) Anies also issued a call on Friday for Jakartans not to leave the city for three weeks to help Jakarta avoid the same fate as “other countries”. He had warned that Jakarta could become like Italy if the people did not practice social distancing.On Friday, however, several mosques in Jakarta still held a mass Friday prayer, including a mosque in Tebet, South Jakarta, despite the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) fatwa to avoid crowds.Densely populated areasThe spread of the virus could become even more uncontrollable if the virus reaches the city’s densely populated areas known as kampungs. Jakarta, the country’s epicenter of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), is struggling to find another strategy to contain the spread of the virus after a partial lockdown was taken off the table.With the increasing number of cases but limited alternatives, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan ordered his subordinates down to the neighborhood level to campaign for social distancing, as many people have yet to grasp the urgency of the situation.Read also: ‘If not us, who else will do it?’: Sweat and tears of Indonesia’s COVID-19 nurses, doctors Topics :
The Ministry of Youth and Sports and the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the have concluded plans to give Nigeria U23 a suitable welcome when they return from Brazil.The Nigerian team to the games defeated Honduras 3-2 to win the 2016 Olympics men’s football bronze medal in Belo Horizonte on Saturday.According to goal.com, coach Samson Siasia’s squad was received on arrival in Lagos yesterday night and would be accorded with another in Abuja later tonight. “Based on the directives of the minister of youths and sports, the Under-23 Team will be well received on arrival tonight (Monday night) in Lagos. The team would be accorded another befitting reception on arrival at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport tonight ,” a top official in the ministry disclosed last night.Meanwhile, coach Siasia confirmed the team’s arrival while appreciating his players and technical crew for a job well-done.“We are arriving tonight in Lagos via South African Airline,” he told Goal.“We are anxious to get back home to meet our darling fans and families having stayed away for months while preparing for the Rio Olympics.“We are grateful to that we are not coming back to Nigeria empty handed. Kudos to the players, coaches and the other backroom staff of the team for a job well done.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Rory Kavanagh scored a goal and was superb throughout St. Eunans victory over Malin in the Donegal SFC this afternoon.St. Eunan’s delivered a very impressive second-half performance to earn a comfortable victory over Malin.Malin stunned the Letterkenny men last year and knocked them out of the Donegal SFC at the quarter-final stage.There was no repeat of that upset today, although Malin did give Maxi Curran’s side a fright with two first-half goals. Brendan McLaughlin and Paul McLaughlin fired home two clinical finished to give Malin a huge boost.St. Eunans also lost the inspirational figure of John Haran to a black card after just two minutes.But after the concession of both goals, St. Eunans responded very well on both occasions and went in at the interval level.Half-time score Malin 2-02 St. Eunans 0-08 In the second-half St.Eunans stepped it up a notch and delivered a fantastic performance and played at a tempo that Malin couldn’t live with.Rory Kavanagh was instrumental and his goal in the second period was the real killer blow as Eunans went on to record an easy win.Malin only scored four times in the second-half and they had no answers to a St. Eunans team that looked focused, hungry and determined.Final score Malin 2-06 St. Eunans 1-17.ST. EUNAN’S IMPRESSIVE IN COMPREHENSIVE WIN OVER MALIN was last modified: September 28th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal SFCMalinnewsSportSt Eunans
OAKLAND — Homer Bailey had to like what transpired Wednesday when he made his debut in an A’s Kelly Green and Gold uniform.Not only did Bailey allow just two earned runs over six innings, but he saw his new teammates smack six home runs.Mark Canha and Jurickson Profar both hit two homers and Chad Pinder and Ramón Laureano each added one as the A’s flattened the Seattle Mariners 10-2 at the Coliseum to extend their win streak to six games.This baseball wasn’t insured 😳@JURICKSONPROFAR#Rooted …
5 March 2013South African company First Distribution has signed an African distribution deal with US firm Innovolt, whose technology platform protects electronic equipment from power supply problems.“While power outages not only impact productivity for businesses in the region, they limit growth in a nation that accounts for a third of sub-Saharan Africa’s economic output and ranks among the world’s top 25 countries in gross domestic product,” First Distribution said in a statement on Monday.“In today’s ‘always-on’ business society, the need to have a constant and uninterrupted power supply has grown to the point where protecting your electronic equipment is vital,” said First Distribution’s networking general manager, Charlie Murray.Innovolt’s technology platform enables electronic equipment to last longer by protecting the devices from 99.5% of common power disturbances.“Innovolt continues to grow its global footprint to protect from power-related issues on an international scale,” said Innovolt chief operating officer Jeff Spence.“It’s our goal to make companies in South Africa more efficient and to help them cut down costs related to bad power.”First Distribution has grown its networking portfolio over the past year and is looking to leverage Innovolt’s technology to expand its presence in South Africa and move further into the rest of Africa.“First Distribution’s networking division upholds a certain standard when it comes to selecting vendors with whom to conduct business, and Innovolt meets our criteria for quality and innovation,” Murray said.SAinfo reporter
SharePrint RelatedExplore the great outdoors with a Discover the Forest trackableAugust 21, 2018In “Trackable Promotions”4 Legendary Trackables Every Geocacher Should FindFebruary 10, 2015In “Community”Happy Birthday and Happy GeoTour, Smokey Bear!July 2, 2019In “Community” Share with your Friends:More Have you explored your local forest or a new trail with a Discover the Forest trackable? Although the official promotion has ended, you can still reconnect with nature when you find a Discover the Forest trackable while geocaching on a trail near you. Here’s a snapshot of the Discover the Forest trackable promotion, one of our favorite partnerships to date!From August 21 through December 21, 2018, Geocaching HQ celebrated the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Trails System Act with a partnership with the Discover the Forest campaign (powered by the U.S. Forest Service and the Ad Council). 1,500 custom Discover the Forest trackables were sent to randomly selected geocachers all over the United States.
With the Twenty20 title already in his kitty, India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Saturday said he wants to lift the upcoming ICC World Cup in the sub-continent as the coveted trophy is the ultimate dream of every cricketer.India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni. APDhoni, under whose leadership India won the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in 2008, said his burning desire is to see India capture the trophy for its fans.”Every one of us in the India dressing room wants to lift that cup, not only for ourselves, but also for the billions of fans we have around the globe. It is not a surprise to me as it doesn’t get any bigger than the World Cup.”It is the ultimate dream of every cricketer to represent his country in this competition and win the trophy at least once in his career. It will require a lot of hard work, self belief and also a positive approach which Team India is capable of displaying at the highest level,” Dhoni said during a promotional ICC event in Cape Town to mark the 50-day countdown celebrations of the mega-event starting next month.With little more than a month to go for the tournament, Dhoni said he can feel the buzz around him.”With just 50 days remaining before we launch our campaign to win the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011, I can clearly feel and sense the tremendous excitement which is gripping the cricket fraternity,” he said.Commenting on his side’s preparations for the World Cup, the wicket-keeper batsman said: “I’m happy with our preparations so far as we have gelled well, we have backed each other all the way and have played some excellent cricket lately.advertisement”But we are also aware that we need to peak at the right time and maintain a winning momentum as the competition will be tough and every team will enter the event fancying its chances.””Each team and match will bring a fresh challenge and we will have to play to our potential every time we take the field,” he added.The charismatic India captain urged the spectators to play their part in making the event the most successful ever.”I also take this opportunity to urge the India public and spectators to support the tournament and all the teams taking part in it. I would love to see every stadium packed to capacity even when we are not playing,” Dhoni said.”With billions of eyes following the World Cup on television, this would be another great opportunity for us to showcase our love and passion for this great sport. Let us all unite and make the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 in the subcontinent the best ever,” he added.The tournament begins in Mirpur, Dhaka, on February 19 with the India taking on co-hosts Bangladesh in the opener.During the event at the picturesque and world famous V&A Waterfront in Cape Town on Saturday evening, the World Cup trophy was put on display and an official promotional film was revealed to celebrate the arrival of the game’s flagship event.Among others present at the occassion were ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat, South Africa captain Graeme Smith and Western Cape Premier Helen Zille.South Africa captain Graeme Smith, whose side opens its campaign against two-time champions West Indies in New Delhi on February 24, said: “I can’t believe that the World Cup is only 50 days away! The spectacular way that 50 days to the World Cup was marked is a pointer to the magnitude of the event.””As a unit, we are looking to make sure we head into the showpiece with the best preparation possible. The five-match ODI series against India starting on January 12 will be our last chance to make sure we are fully prepared and we hope to bring home the silverware,” Smith said.ICC chief Lorgat said he was delighted to see the interest and excitement amongst the players and followers of the game for the tournament.”With 50 days to go before cricket’s flagship event starts, key players are starting to think and talk a lot more about the World Cup. The players will soon start with their World Cup focus and preparation and the related anticipation across the world will escalate with each passing day,” Lorgat said.Lorgat also urged all the three host countries — India, Sri Lanka Bangladesh — to step up their preparations and complete all the infrastructure work in time to successfully stage a world-class event.”We must do our utmost to complete all the necessary work to deliver another memorable event,” he added.advertisementLorgat also thanked the host countries and ICC’s commercial partners for their excellent work to date.With inputs from PTI